Wednesday, April 10, 2019

One Room Challenge Week #2- Turning the Traditional Girl Nursery On It’s Head

Guys! It’s time for a One Room Challenge update!! Today we’re talking inspo, and having a come to Jesus about tastes. You can check out ORC Week #1 here to find out more about the space I’m overhauling!

What do a 50 year old painting, a Sherwin-Williams paint deck, and grandma chic all have in common? (And by paint deck, I mean the actual deck, not the colors inside it…)

They are the inspo for this nursery makeover!! 

Fun fact, I rarely get on Pinterest. Weird right? In my line of work you would think that I’d seek after any bit of “inspiration” I could find. But in reality the opposite happens. When I go to Pinterest seeking ideas I leave totally discouraged feeling like all the good ideas in the world are already taken. That I’ll never create anything awesome again, and that everyone else in the world is much much cooler than I am. (Totally true btw, I’m not what you’d consider a cool person.)

I feel the most creative when I’m inspired by some rando object that sends the design dominos tumbling. My best projects start with “What if?!” not “I saw”. So staying unplugged is pretty important.

My initial direction for this room was to pull warm deserty colors. Deep dusty orange (like we used in this living room!) and a soft blush, but then my sister send me this picture that my Great Grandma had painted and I knew we needed to take it in a different direction.

There is something SO special about using a piece that you are emotionally connected to as the jumping off point for inspiration. I’ve talked about my Great Grandma before, but she was one of the most incredible women. She loved painting, but didnt start until she was in her 50’s! How many times do we tell ourselves that we’re too _____________ to learn something new? Oh man, that is just not true! She and my Grandpa would hop in their car and take road trips all over the western United States so that my Grandma could find inspiration for her paintings. Earlier this year I was going through some of her old pictures and watched a specific trip through Southern Utah and California unfold. It was so cool to know that there is a 100% chance that they stopped at the Merc to get gas on their journey!

Sorry tangent, my Great Grandma was just the best and I miss her, so when I start talking I just cant stop! 

As soon as I saw this sweet picture with it’s blues, greens, and pops of red, the plan for a perfectly girly boho nursery flew out the window. This room was destined for a different direction!! 

I’ve got to know, where do you find your gold vein of creativity? Let’s fill the comment section and inspire each other!!

The post One Room Challenge Week #2- Turning the Traditional Girl Nursery On It’s Head appeared first on Vintage Revivals.


via Mandi at One Room Challenge Week #2- Turning the Traditional Girl Nursery On It’s Head