Friday, July 28, 2017

The Hunt for the Perfect Front Door

Dudes! We’re renovating our dream house, an old mercantile store build in 1928! Follow along from the beginning here!

Hey hey!! Man have I missed you guys! Court and I have been traveling the last week and 1/2 and are finally home and settled. Progress at the Merc rolled on while we were gone. All of the giant boulders from the concrete cutting were hauled away, the plumbing was put down and today the concrete was poured to fill the trenches and the back bedroom! I was honestly terrified that I was going to get back and the framing would be done. I know its weird to worry about too much progress happening but I didn’t want to miss anything!

I just got info from my contractor that the first of many design decisions is due and I’d love your help! We need to decide on our front doors (3 to be exact!) I’ve scoured the internet trying to find inspiration and I know you design geniuses have got some opinions so lets get into it!

Here’s a little refresher on what we’ve got happening.

The Merc currently looks like this:

This is a rough rendering of what it will look like when its all said and done.

3 front doors that all need to be amazing. The problem is that I can’t spend $20k on doors, so its time to get creative!

This is the style of door that I keep coming back to. I LOVE the heavy moulding.

Source: Farrow and Ball

Originally I was planning on doing them all black but after diving into the world of amazing doors (check out the #ihavethisthingwithdoors) I think they might need to be different colors….If they are they’ll have to go with black trim and each other without being too overwhelming.

 

I think a mail slot is a must.

And a knocker. Obviously.

I’ve toyed around with the idea of buying a basic door and fancying it up but I haven’t found one with a panel style that I love, and even if I did who knows if it will be the right size for our openings. My contractor thinks that it might be a good move to go custom. What are your thoughts? Have you bought a custom door before? How did it work out for you? Have you seen my dream doors anywhere?!

 

 

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

The post The Hunt for the Perfect Front Door appeared first on Vintage Revivals.


via Mandi at The Hunt for the Perfect Front Door