Monday, April 9, 2018

Closet Door Styles and How I Inadvertently Screwed Things Up At The Merc

Did you guys catch my last post about our Interior Doors? Once I found them my whole life was better, and I also sort of screwed things up because of them. 🙈

The original plan for our closets was to put in bypass doors. Though I don’t particularly love them, I thought it would be the easiest and most space saving option. (If you’ve got ugly closet doors, check out this tutorial for bypass barn doors or this one for a lightweight DIY barn door!) I felt like we could find something that was awesome enough to not hate them completely.

When I found my dream doors from Jeld-Wen at Home Depot I changed my tune. The doors with the extra moulding were just SO GOOD I needed them everywhere, and bypass doors would have been similar to the pocket door style (you can read all about the difference here!) I decided French doors were the way to go and that’s what I ordered, thinking that as long as they were the same size doors it wouldn’t be a problem…seems like common sense right?

Fast forward a few months when our doors were ready to be installed and guess what? The framing for french doors vs. bypass doors is totally different. DANG IT!

Luckily our framer came by and fixed my mistake, but it definitely would’ve been easier to get it fixed before all of the drywall and painting was done. It would have saved us $150.

Bypass doors are framed a little bit smaller so because I swapped out the door styles our framer had to widen the jamb and raise the header by an inch or so. Who knew?!

Lesson of the day, tell your contractor everything.

The post Closet Door Styles and How I Inadvertently Screwed Things Up At The Merc appeared first on Vintage Revivals.


via Mandi at Closet Door Styles and How I Inadvertently Screwed Things Up At The Merc